If excess fluid accumulates in the human brain, which does not allow the organ to function normally, they talk about watercolor or brain hydrocephaly. Excess fluid increases pressure on brain structures by pressing them against the skull. In the absence of timely diagnosis and qualified treatment, the patient may die. The success of treatment depends on the degree of lesion, severity of the process, symptoms and concomitant pathologies. The disease may be congenital and acquired.
Types of dropsy
Classification of brain hydrocephaly is quite complicated, with erased diagnostic boundaries. Until recently, this disease was attributed exclusively to children, but today it is proven that the development of dropsy is also possible in adults.
Clinical manifestations of hydrocephaly are divided into groups:
- The mixed form is heavy, the volume of fluid increases inside the brain and outside. The prognosis is unfavorable. Violations cause seizures of epilepsy, seizures, paralysis of the limbs.
- Atrophic hydrocephaly of the head develops against the background of brain injury. The ventricles increase symmetrically, the volume of gray and white matter decreases. In a month after the injury, the changes become visible. This is a natural reaction of the body. The prognosis of post-traumatic disease is unfavorable.
- Vicarious hydrocephaly – ventricles increase, but the anatomical structure of the brain does not change. Prognosis – favorable, provided that it is detected at an early stage. In the vast majority of cases, the disease development can be stopped and stabilized.
- Hypotrophic hydrocephaly develops as a reaction to brain nutrition disorder, when soft tissues lack nutrients. A person has a headache, vestibular functions are impaired. The condition aggravates nausea and vomiting.
- The compensatory form manifests itself when the acute stage of the disease has passed. The volume of fluid in the ventricles stabilizes, but their volume remains increased. No treatment is provided.
- Non-occlusive form – changes do not cause hypertension. The nature of the disorders is not clear, the inflow and outflow of liquor is kept at the same level, the circulation of cerebrospinal fluid is within acceptable limits.
- Partial form – increase in fluid volume causes neurological changes. Epileptic seizures are a characteristic feature of the disease.
- Discirculatory hydrocephaly – lack of cerebral blood circulation is diagnosed often accompanied by atrophic processes.
In any etiology, dropsy remains a dangerous disease, resulting in brain dysfunction, impaired thinking ability and perception of information. It is important to identify the disease at an early stage and stop its development.
Reasons for the development of the pathology
The human brain consists of soft tissues located in the skull. To protect against damage in the cavity, a liquor is circulated – the fluid fills the inner ventricles and grooves. When a person is healthy, the inflow and outflow of liquor is balanced. Performance of their functions does not affect the health of the patient. If there are disorders due to the development of tumors, injuries and infections, the intracranial pressure increases and the process of lycvor movement is disturbed, causing changes in brain function and neurological manifestations. Hydrocephaly may develop against a background of stroke or tumor development.
How does hydrocephalus manifest itself?
In moderate development of the process, minor neurological disorders are manifested. One should not ignore: nausea; headache; vomiting; vision deterioration; changes in the appearance of eyeballs; vestibular apparatus problems; mental disorders. The open external shape has similar manifestations to the disorder of the psyche. If the diagnosis is wrong, the patient will be treated in a psychiatric hospital, and the main disease will remain unnoticed. To make a correct diagnosis, the neurologist prescribes additional examinations.